Saturday, February 26, 2011

And now it will stop.... I hope

Spent part of the day today going through the brakes. The master cylinder was empty when I got it home, so it had no brakes other than the parking brake. I filled the master cylinder after cleaning out the reservoir. I took the lines loose from the calipers and wheel cylinders and let them gravity bleed till the fluid was clear. While that was happening, I removed the calipers and used a c-clamp the push the pistons in and out several times to get them freed up. Taking the wheel cylinders off the rear and freeing them up was a bit more work than I wanted, but I felt better after it was done. Eventually everything will get rebuilt with new seals, etc.., but for now I just wanted to be able to stop the car without using the parking brake. After all that was done, I had a good, firm pedal with no leaks! After seeing that nothing was leaking, I had to wonder why the m/c was empty in the first place. I'll just have to keep an eye on everything for awhile. Then I went after the clutch hydraulics. The slave cylinder bleeder screw was stopped up with something, but after pumping the pedal several times it blew whatever it was out and then the fluid was able to flow. Without anyone else around, I wasn't able to bleed it good enough to get a good pedal.
Next up is the cooling system, need to get a top hose without a huge hole in it so I can run the engine long enough to adjust the timing and carbs. I'm trying to get the thing in good enough shape to at least go around the block and see what I've got before putting the engine and O/D trans up for sale. Once I can get it to that point, I can really start to take it apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment